Who needs a CASA Aviation English Assessment?


CASA has adopted the English proficiency standards of the International Civil Aviation Organisation for PPL, CPL and ATPL licences.

Student pilots must pass a General English Language Proficiency (GELP) test to begin training, but to sit for PPL or above licence you must passĀ an Aviation English Language Proficiency (AELP) test.

If you are a ‘native’ English speaker with ICAO Level 6 English proficiency, your Flight Examiner may be authorised to give you a Level 6 assessment. If you are not a native English speaker you may need to undertake an approved AELP test.

This test can now be done face-to-face at your local flight school by a CASA Authorised 61.270 Aviation English Assessor.

  • lower costĀ than all other ELP Specialist Centres.
  • a face-to-face assessment by a pilot and aviation English specialist, undertaken at your flight school.
  • the tests are tailored to the experience level of the candidate: ab initio pilots learning in Class D and Class G airpace, experienced overseas pilots converting their licences, drone pilots or airfield managers, as applicable.
  • discounted re-sit fee if you fail first time.

Find out more about the Aviation English Language Proficiency assessment regulations from the CASA website.